Tuesday, November 28, 2006

And so it is...

The range and intensity of emotion this past week has been extreme, preparing for an entirely new life while clinging desperately onto that which is comfortable and familiar. We got back from our site visits a little shaken and overwhelmed. Reality was hitting us and it was a little hard to take it all in at once. It was refreshing to know that most of the other trainees were having the same feelings that I was, uncertain of everything, not being able to comprehend the two full years that lay before us.

The first few days back in the capital were a venting session for all of us, letting out our fears and frustrations and talking it through to mentally prepare ourselves for the day we would leave to begin our service. After a few more nuts-and-bolts sessions with training, we were finished. We made it through three months of training. My spanish is at about an intermediate-advanced level now, and I know a whole lot more about working with youth and groups.

It was time to swear in, to take the official oath to serve my country, the same oath that all government employees take, military, etc. I have agreed to defend my country against all enemies, so watch out Michael Moore! (Just kidding, you know I love you ; ) Here we are taking the oath:

The rest of the week was our last chance to have fun and spend time with friends before we were off on our own to go to our sites. It was really hard to go from having friends around every day and always someone to turn to if you needed to talk, to think about being on your own, with friends spread out across the country in remote places far away, most without easy access to communication, not knowing if you'd even see them again. Of course, we won't be "alone" in our sites, there will be locals around, but its not the same. They don't understand us or know what we're going through, and I'm just not advanced enough to talk about my feelings in Spanish. The first month will probably be the hardest as we figure things out, then it should start picking up from there.

Meanwhile, it really started to hit us after swearing in that we were seeing our friends for the last time in a long time. I just wanted to hold on to them and not let go, I really was afraid to be by myself! We kept our schedules packed to avoid thinking about leaving, and doing as much as we could together. There was a fun party at our trainer Laura's house after swearing in, and events each day and night until we were scheduled to leave on Sunday.

Of course, this past Thursday was Thanksgiving Day. Luckily it was not a sad day for me, as its hard to accept the fact that its Thanksgiving when the weather still feels like summer and there are no cardboard Turkey's or gourds decorating front doors. If I didn't have a calendar I would have had no idea what day it was. The Peace Corps organized a party for all of the volunteers, a full day filled with sports, food, and lots of dancing. I made it to second or third rounds of the Merengue and Bachata dancing contests, but didn't win. (Its hard to compete against those who have had a year or two more of practice!) However, our youth training group choreographed a dance for the talent show that evening, and I must say we tore the roof off. I was one of the organizers of the dance group, entitled "Sparkle Motion", which we arranged to the 80's classic "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood ("Frankie says RELAX!"). It was a huge hit, here we are in action:

Yes, John Travolta floor and all. The cheesier the better. A visit to the Hard Rock Cafe that night was a welcome relief from typical Dominican fare and scenery. Friday was an all volunteer conference, meeting more volunteers, including those that live in my region. That night I went to a local baseball game, a Santo Domingo team vs. my team in the north, or Cibao region, called the Aguilas, or eagles. My team won, of course. It was a lot of fun, cheap seats and crazy fans the whole time. Remember, this is where the US teams get some of their best players!

That night was a club night, too packed and loud but got to see many people for the last time. Saturday a bunch of us were paniced at being on our own so we met up in the city, went to a Middle eastern restaurant and stayed at a hotel. The anticipation was worse than the event itself, Sunday came and I came to my site, and though still a bit nervous I'm getting to work and settling in. Plus, we have things to look forward to, like Christmas and New Years parties, so it is not solitary confinement by any means.

So, here I am! Its nice to actually get started working. Wish me luck, I wish you all the best.
Joan

No comments: